How to Choose a Reliable Moving Company
There are approximately 7,000 professional relocation service providers in the US, which can make it difficult to choose a reliable moving company. When planning to move, contact at least three long-distance relocation firms, ask for a quote, and read through the reviews left by previous customers. Don’t forget to check licenses and accreditations and ask about insurance coverage. Gather as much information as possible, and you will avoid hidden costs or getting scammed. When you pick a trustworthy business, you can relax and enjoy relocation while the experts do their job.
Contact at Least Three Interstate Companies
Finding a top-notch professional moving company that will provide you with the best and the most efficient service possible, and at the same time won’t leave you broke, can be a tricky task.
People planning moves mainly want to know how much movers cost for a 2-bedroom apartment or how much movers cost for a one-bedroom apartment. When you finally decide to move, contact at least three companies and ask for a free estimate and an in-person estimate. When you get the assessments, you can compare them and determine which one will fit your budget the best. However, money is not the only criteria you should consider. Get information about companies and the way they conduct business.
Every Reliable Moving Company Should Be Licensed
One of the things you should check when hiring experts is if they are licensed and insured. The Department of Transportation Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration gives all the registered long-distance firms a USDOT number.
If you are wondering how to do a USDOT number check, all you have to do is go to the official government website. There, you can request the US DOT number of the firm you are considering. However, if you are relocating within state borders, you can contact the local consumer affairs agency and check if the business has all the right licenses.
Glance at the Track Record of Companies: the Popular Ones Will Have Good Ratings
If you visit the Better Business Bureau, you can read through track records of the mover you are researching. This free service allows you to see every previous review customers wrote. If you want to hire professionals, pick those who are accredited and have a good rating.
Make Sure Movers Have Professional Accreditation
Some things, like asking about professional accreditations, would likely never cross your mind, but they are an important part of every company’s professional image. Trade associations inspect businesses before giving them a seal of approval or a membership. Go online and look for professionals that have the American Moving and Storage Association logo.
Companies Should Have Moving Insurance
Another important thing to consider is insurance. Under federal law, long-distance companies should have two different liability options: Full Value and Released Value Protection:
- Full Value Protection is the most inclusive plan available for the protection of your valuables. With this coverage, experts will have to repair the damaged article, replace it with the article of the same quality, or repay the cost of replacement. However, if you have objects of extraordinary value, talk to movers and get familiar with limitations.
- Released Value Protection is the most economical option available and provides only minimal protection. With this type of insurance, experts assume liability for no more than 60 cents per pound.
If you have some treasured items among your belongings, don’t hesitate to take full coverage insurance. No matter how professional the mover is, accidents sometimes just happen, and you should know that your things are insured in case they get damaged or broken.
Look for a Company With a Variety of Services
Boxing up everything you own and leaving your home can get overwhelming. If you want to overcome moving stress, let the professionals handle the grunt work around your house. That’s why, when going through the list of potential movers, take into consideration all types of services they provide. You should hire those that can not only transport your items from one place to another, but they can provide you with skillful packing services as well. In other words, moving services should only be the tip of the iceberg.
Shipping Cars Should Be an Option
Some areas have better public transportation than others. However, some people enjoy driving no matter what. If you are one of them, you should be able to bring your vehicle to the new place. Relocation experts offer an auto shipping service that will accommodate all of your needs.
If you are wondering how car shipping works, don’t hesitate to call and ask your movers to explain it to you. Those businesses that put their clients’ needs first will patiently tell you all about the delivery options, such as door-to-door and terminal-to-terminal. Also, they will explain to you the benefits of both open-air carriers and enclosed trailers.
Ask About Storage Facilities
Have you started looking for accommodation in the new area? One of the best house hunting tips is to start searching for a new home before the relocation. However, if you can’t find the perfect spot before you have to move out, you should discuss storage options with your movers. A-listed firms can offer their clients storage facilities equipped with high-quality security and protection systems, as well as climate control so that your belongings will stay moist free.
Other Things You Should Be Aware of When Picking Movers
When you are looking into the cheapest ways to move out of state, know that picking the business that offers you the lowest quote might not be the best choice. To avoid scams and losing money, don’t lose focus on what is important – hiring a reputable company brings many benefits and makes the whole relocation process smooth and stress-free.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Hiring Professionals
If you are still on the fence about hiring experts, weigh your options. That way, it will be easier to make a decision. Put on paper all the pros and cons of having hired help, and you will see if it is more efficient than relocating on your own:
- It is time-efficient – you will have the time to take care of other tasks while an experienced mover is handling stuff in your home.
- It is stress-free – you don’t have to think about boxes, packing materials, and loading things onto the truck; experts will do it for you.
- Everything is handled professionally – you can rest assured that all of your belongings will be packed promptly and with utmost care.
- Packing supplies are not your problem – experts will provide all packing materials, from paper to bubble wrap and containers, as a part of the service. Also, they will know how to put those materials to good use, making sure your stuff is completely protected.
- A mover will bring equipment for lifting bulky objects – you don’t have to worry about carrying that huge couch from the living room, or that pool table from the basement. Professionals come with lifting equipment that will make loading onto the truck easier, and you won’t have to lift a finger.
- You will get a refund for broken or damaged things – even though the chances of something breaking are low, it can happen, and if it does, you will get a refund.
- Experts can cover all the steps in the relocation process – they can pack, move, store, and deliver your goods. If you are relocating on your own, you will have to organize and carry out every step of the way.
- It feels like you are trusting strangers with your personal things – one of the downsides of hiring experts is that you don’t really know the crew. Some people are more reluctant than others to let strangers handle their goods.
- If you are not careful, you might become a victim of fraud – moving scams are a real danger, but if you learn how to recognize disreputable firms, you will easily avoid them.
- Hiring a professional mover might not fit your budget limits – the more you want to save up, the more the idea of DIY seems like the right choice. However, even though hiring experts requires some money, it is worth it in the grand scheme of things. You will not only save some time, but the whole process will run smoothly while you relax.
Avoid Paying Large Deposits
Experts with a good reputation won’t demand money or a large deposit before the relocation. If you are negotiating with movers who are asking for money beforehand, know that they might be scamming you. The amount of money they can ask for in advance should not surpass 10% of the total cost for the job. Clarify payment terms before signing contracts, and never sign a blank one. Get everything written down, make sure all fees are listed, as well as pick-up and delivery dates. Read the contract, and make sure all of your things are listed, because you can’t file a claim for something that is not on the inventory list.
Beware of Hidden Costs
Cheapest is not always the best choice. If you get an estimate that is way lower than others, know that you might be charged with additional fees. Those businesses that want to scam you will give you a low starting quote. Later they will add a cost of carrying bulky items, the fee for disassembling furniture, or they can charge you extra for supplies. In the end, you will pay more than you originally thought when you picked the firm with the lowest estimate.
You Can Report Any Problems
Did you know that you have nine months to report a problem to your long-distance relocation company and file an insurance claim? When you get to your new home, make sure you open the boxes, go through them, and check for damage. If you note any damage, write it down on a bill of lading before signing it. When you report a problem, the experts have 30 days to acknowledge it, and within 120 of receiving the complaint, they have to either deny your claim or make an offer to repay.
Reliable Moving Company Will Have Great Reviews
Nothing speaks louder about the business than a line of satisfied clients. Read through all the testimonials people left. Word-to-mouth promotion is the best indicator of the business etiquette experts nurture. That’s why you should go online and check reviews and feedback from those who already used the services. You can either visit official websites of companies, go to Yelp, or visit platforms like MovingFeedback.
At the end of the day, when you gather all the information, it will be easy to make an educated decision. Trust your instincts: pick professionals with a variety of services from storage to car shipping, more than one five-star review, and all the documentation. Reputable specialists will handle everything for you while you are relaxing, knowing your belongings are in safe hands.